Harbison Agricultural College
1885 - Harbison Agricultural College began when the Rev. Emory W. Williams founded a school to educate young African Americans in Abbeville, S.C.
1911 - After several fires struck the school due to racial tensions, the school board decided to relocate and settled on Irmo, S.C. for its new location. The school went from being a co-educational institution to an all-male school. In addition to agriculture, areas of instruction included literature, religion, and music.
The school also purchased a church building once belonging to the Negro Baptists of Irmo and founded the Irmo Presbyterian Church.
When the institution closed the remaining college buildings were donated to Midlands Technical College Harbison in 1978.