Blue Granite Water Company Rate Increase
About Blue Granite Water Company
Blue Granite Water Company (BGWC) is a private water and wastewater utility provider that provides multiple services including water supply, water distribution, sewer collection, and sewer treatment. Blue Granite Water is regulated by the South Carolina Public Service Commission and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC).
Rate Increase Recap
In 2019 Blue Granite Water Company asked the South Carolina Public Service Commission (SCPSC) for an approximate 35-55% increase in water rates and a 56% increase in sewer rates. The PSC denied the full rate increase request. The supreme court overruled the PSC’s decision, thus approving the rate increase that is now being reflected on your water bill.
How can customers have their voices heard?
The Town of Irmo is aware of the long history of customer dissatisfaction with Blue Granite’s services and high fees. The Town has no authority or role in deciding rate increases by public entities. However, we intend on advocating for our customers by contacting local politicians, the Public Service Commission, and the Office of Regulatory Affairs. If you are unsatisfied with the services of any utility provider, you are encouraged to take the following steps:
- Speak to the utility company to file a complaint. The utility company has seven days to respond.
- Blue Granite Contact Info: 800-367-4314, bluegranitewaterco.com, Facebook, LinkedIn
- File a complaint with the Office of Regulatory Staff (ORS). The ORS typically responds within 7-15 days.
- ORS Contact Info: 803-737-5230, https://ors.sc.gov/
- File a complaint with the Public Service Commission
- PSC Contact Info: 803-896-5100, https://psc.sc.gov/
- File a complaint to your Politicians who represent you at the Statehouse! Visit SC Legislature to find your Senators and Representatives for both the State Legislature and US Congress.
- SC Public Service Commission Complaint Form: https://psc.sc.gov/consumer-info/file-complaint
- SC Public Service Commission Letter of Protest Form: https://psc.sc.gov/consumer-info/file-letter-protest